Posted On: November 14, 2017
Most of us know that casting is a manufacturing process in which a molten material is poured into a mold to acquire the desired shape. Upon solidifying, the part is removed from the mold. This part is also referred to as a casting. Various materials can be used in the casting process to create different parts. Out of several materials used, urethane is one. Urethane castings are mostly used in case of low volume production requirements. So, what is special about these urethane castings? Why do most industries prefer them? Where are these castings used? You will get the answers to these questions in the following post.
What Makes Urethane Casting So Popular and Special?
There is a vast list of benefits of these castings. These benefits are the reasons for their popularity in various industries. Let us have a look at these reasons:
1. Dimensional Stability – Urethane material is known to have an exceptional dimensional stability. This means that urethane castings do not undergo any major changes over a vast range of pressures and temperatures. In addition to the excellent dimensional stability, the castings possess outstanding elastomeric memory. Thus, even after stretching them to large elongations, these castings regain their original dimension upon release.
2. Impact Resistance – This is another major benefit of these castings. Compared to others, urethane castings have an amazing impact resistance. Unlike that of plastic, the urethane castings maintain strength and elasticity even though their hardness increases.
3. Highly Precise Production – This is another beneficial feature of urethane castings. The casted parts as large as 30″ can be produced with amazing tolerances up to ± 0.010″ + 0.002″ per inch. These castings are known for having a highly precise production.
4. Exceptional Tensile Strength – Urethane can have a tensile strength as great as 8000 psi. The best part is that the elasticity characteristics of these castings are still maintained even after having high tensile strength.
5. Variety of Finish Options – The nature of the urethane parts can vary depending upon which type of composition is used for urethane. These parts can be flexible, rubber-like, or rigid. Besides, you get a variety of finish options to choose from. Urethane-casted parts can either have a standard smooth finish, or a custom finish that suits your requirements. Hardware installations and painting can be added to custom finish.
Where are These Castings Used?
The several benefits of urethane castings explained above makes them ideal for use in a variety of applications. Here are some major application areas of these castings:
1. These castings are used in the pre-production or as a bridge to various hard tooling parts.
2. Diverse types of automotive interiors are made up of these castings. Also, the urethane castings are used in foam parts for aircraft.
3. These castings are most widely used when low volume production parts are required.
4. Different components of A-Rank vehicles use urethane castings.
5. They are also used on a large scale in Alpha & Beta builds.
Apart from those mentioned above, there are much more reasons that make these castings popular in a wide range of applications and industries. Does this intrigue you to know more about urethane castings? Well, then you should consider consulting an expert provider of these services. For more information on urethane casting, consider contacting BDE Manufacturing Technologies, Inc.