Posted On: March 9, 2018
CNC-milling machine tools are used to shape metals and other solid materials to desired specifications. Computers aided programs to control and drive these machine tools. They are known for their wide range of cutting abilities, which allow conducting several complicated operations such as indexing, gang milling, and straddle milling, among several others on materials. However, in order to program, operate, and run the milling operations efficiently, it is crucial to lay importance to some notable points right from the very start until the end of machining. This blog, which comprises two parts, can be considered as tips for conducting CNC milling operations efficiently.
Different Departments and the Required Skillsets
There are several crucial things that management personnel, technical professionals, and the operators working with CNC machine tools must know and strictly adhere to. Let us now understand the important points that CNC personnel must look in to before operating, and during designing, programing and machining.
• Management Team: The personnel handling CNC machining equipment must have a basic understanding of CNC equipment technologies, programming, and operations. Additionally, the personnel must:
o Know the behaviors and properties of materials used compliant with CNC milling.
o Know about the safety regulations to implement when working with CNC machines.
o Identify the maintenance procedures and basic troubleshooting.
o Rightly implement quality standards for safe and healthy operation.
o Ensure that the personnel involved in the CNC milling make the right preparation and programming processes throughout.
• Design Team: It is advisable for the design team to know the ISO 1 and/or ISO 3 drawing representation. Also, it is crucial for them to comprehend technical terms, symbols, and standards used in drawings and plans such as:
o N for sequence number
o G for preparatory function
o X, Y, and Z for axis designations
o S for spindle speed
o F for federate
o M for miscellaneous
Additionally, they should:
o Stringently follow the specifications
o Identify the following:
1. Main and secondary dimensions
2. Standards for surface finishing
3. ISO standards for geometrical form and positional tolerances
So far, we have discussed the required skillsets and responsibilities of the management and design team of a CNC milling service provider. We will continue discussing the responsibilities of programming, operating, and machining department in the next post.