Posted On: April 6, 2017
The term “5 axis” usually refers to the ability of a CNC machine to move a tool in five directions.
In 5 axis machines, the centers are capable of rotating on two additional axes, namely A and B. With the help of 5 axis machining technique, it becomes easier to move a tool or a part along 5 different axes at the same time. This technique is of great help for machining complex parts. Thus, this technique is greatly used in aerospace applications. This post discusses advantages of 5 axis CNC machining in detail.
What are the Advantages of 5 Axis CNC Machining?
There are a number of benefits of using a 5 axis CNC machining technique such as the ones given below:
1. Simple Setup: 5 axis CNC machines, make it possible, as well as easy to machine complex shapes in a single set-up. It does not require multiple set-ups, which may cause errors. The single set-up helps reduce the set-up and manufacturing time, and increase production rates. Along with shortening lead times, this machining technique helps increase the throughput and cash flow.
2. Faster Cutting Speeds: Since, the 5 axis CNC machining allows simultaneous movement along the two axes, X and Y, you can make use of shorter and more rigid tools. The use of shorter and rigid cutting tools facilitates faster cutting speeds, with minimal or negligible vibration.
3. Increased Accuracy: The work piece in the 5 axis CNC machining process does not move, thus higher part accuracy can be achieved.
4. Superior Finish: The shorter tools used in the 5 axis CNC machining process, helps achieve superior surface finish, which results in a better part quality.
5. Ability to Machine Complex Parts: With the help of this machining technique, you can manufacture extremely complex machine parts in a lesser time, as well as at reduced costs. This is a great benefit for small run applications or prototypes.
Industrial Applications Using 5 Axis CNC Machining
The 5 axis CNC machining technique finds its use in a number of applications, owing to the several advantages it offers. Here are some of the major applications that use 5 axis CNC machining:
1. Medical Devices
2. Optical Equipment
Thus, 5 Axis CNC machines are gaining popularity and are mandatory for many modern designs. If you are looking forward to making products with precision, and in a less time, then 5 axis machining services may be right for you. You can talk to a CNC machining expert, who would help you in your machining needs. BDE Manufacturing Technologies is one such CNC machining expert in Hillsboro, Oregon. For more information on 5 Axis machining, you can get in touch with our professionals at firstname.lastname@example.org.