Posted On: August 30, 2021
Metal stamping is an important manufacturing sheet metal fabrication process, where the flat metal sheets are formed into desired shapes. The metal sheets are placed in the stamping press where the dies or a die is used to shape the material effectively. The metal stamping process offers flexibility, and can be performed in multiple ways to meet the required specifications. Although the metal stamping process is known for its versatility, it produces effective results on certain metals. Are you interested to know what those metals are? If yes, this post introduces you to them.
Top 3 Metals for Metal Stamping
The metal stamping process has evolved over the years. As said before, today, one can see several varieties when it comes to the dies and materials. Does it mean all metals are suited for metal stamping? Perhaps no, it works best for the following three metals than others.
The metal stamping process is nowadays performed using various CNC machines. There is a common misconception that CNC machining requires no expertise because it is computer operated. All you need to do is add programs and await the results. However, that is not true. The CNC machining services must be always sourced from experienced machine shops. BDE, Inc. offers precision CNC machining services from its well-equipped facility in Oregon. Metal stamping is one of its special services.
This is the most common non-ferrous metal considered for the metal stamping process due to several benefits that it offers. The metal is lightweight, durable, and offers price advantages, too. The following are a few more properties that make it a popular choice of material for creating industrial parts.
- The metal offers excellent strength to weight ratio.
- Affordability and easy availability make it ideal for high-volume production.
- Excellent electrical conductivity and thermal stability are two factors that it an ideal choice for applications where the parts may be exposed to sustained temperature variations for a long time.
- Aluminum possesses luster originally, which reduces the need for secondary finishing like coating. However, the material can be anodized to improve its appearance, as well as corrosion resistance.
- Aluminum or its alloys can be easily hammered or stretched into thin sheets. They can be easily stamped in intricate designs without worrying about damages.
This is the first metal ever used for metal stamping. Over the years, its uses were limited due to costs and other reasons. Although metal fabricators today are considering cheaper metals in several applications, the demand for copper has not diminished completely. Versatility that this metal exhibit makes it an excellent choice at all times. Adding to it, the following characteristics are appreciated, too.
- Copper and copper alloys like bronze, brass, and nickel silver exhibit excellent corrosion resistance.
- Copper is a non-magnetic and non-sparking material, which makes it a suitable choice for electronic applications.
- Copper and its alloys can be easily drawn into wires and metal threads.
- The metal possesses a smooth finish, which makes it easy to clean.
- This metal is known for its low electric resistance.
- Malleability and ductility make this metal a popular choice for several machining projects.
- The metal can be easily bent or pressed into desirable shapes.
- Parts made of copper can easily withstand harsh environments where they may be exposed to heat, cold temperatures, and UV radiation.
- This metal also possesses antimicrobial properties that make it a popular choice for several hygienic applications.
- Steel Alloys:
Steel is an alloy of carbon and iron. It is one of the most common raw materials chosen for a metal stamping process. They are available in different varieties and offer flexibility in terms of application. The following characteristics of steel alloys make them popular with metal fabrication workshops or CNC machine shops.
- The steel alloys may differ in terms of composition, but they offer great flexibility when it comes to machining. They can be easily machined, forged, stamped, and cut for different parts.
- Steel alloys are affordable and competitively priced, which makes them more attractive for manufacturers who may be looking for price advantages without compromising on quality.
- All steel alloys exhibit immense strength and are sturdy.
The metal stamping process is nowadays performed using various CNC machines. There is a common misconception that CNC machining requires no expertise because it is computer operated. All you need to do is add programs and await the results. However, that is not true. The CNC machining services must be always sourced from experienced machine shops. BDE, Inc. offers precision CNC machining services from its well-equipped facility in Oregon. Metal stamping is one of its special services.Related Blog Post :