Posted On: January 2, 2018
Manufacturing techniques are constantly evolving in various industries. OEM’s in these industries are constantly working hard to improve their competitiveness and productivity. In the previous post, we have seen some popular manufacturing processes adopted by manufacturers in the automotive, medical, and aerospace industries. In this post, we will continue with important techniques in other industries.
An Introduction to Various Popular Manufacturing Processes in Consumer Electronics and Technology
Technology and consumer electronics are one of the most competitive industries ever. The demand for smart devices is increasing. Compact sized technology devices are considered trendy. Innovation has become a key to survival. The innovative streak in the industry is driving manufacturers to choose the following manufacturing processes:
• Urethane casting is one of the popular 3D printing techniques preferred by consumer electronics manufacturers for producing low volumes of urethane parts using molds of silicone. This process helps improve the cosmetic appearance of various consumer electronic products.
• Injection molding is employed by various technology manufacturers to produce components such as hand-held devices, radio covers, phones, enclosures, and packaging lids, etc.
A Brief on Various Manufacturing Processes in the Military Industry
Manufacturing for defense and military industry is focused on the production, design, precision, and assembly of a vast array of products such as armours, armament systems, protective gears, etc. Technology, research, and development, as well as artificial intelligence, are considered key drivers of innovation by military industry manufacturers. There are a few manufacturing processes, which fulfil the requirements of the industry. The following are most popular ones among them:
• FDM is preferred by various military industry manufacturers for developing prototypes that are technically and mechanically durable. Typically, this technique is employed for creating prototypes using thermoplastics, which provide a high level of durability as expected from several end-use parts. Appearance and other characteristics of the components can be easily controlled in FDM.
• CAD/CAM Programming & Machining is another popular process employed by military and defense industry manufacturers. As it helps them achieve high precision prototypes, in the shortest turnaround times.
Important Manufacturing Processes in the Construction Industry Discussed
Within the construction industry, there is a huge pressure to improve processes, meet various design requirements, improve quality of products, and reduce emissions. Thus, manufacturers employ the following processes:
• Large part CNC machining helps design large parts with utmost precision, as well as accuracy. This machining involves several sub-processes such as boring, threading, peripheral milling, parting, grooving, etc. These processes enable manufacturers to create large and strong parts involving minute detailing.
• Precision CNC machining is commonly preferred by construction manufacturers, due to short lead times it offers. Precision CNC machines are employed to produce parts with great strength and enable large volume capabilities.
The above-mentioned are popular machining processes employed by manufacturers. However, the selection of the right process will entirely depend on the projected outcome, costs, availability, and several other factors. Although various 3D machining methods have been discussed in this post, still there are several challenges in their complete implementation. If you are looking for a CNC machining services serving all the above-mentioned industries, you will come across several names. BDE Manufacturing, Inc., is one of the leading CNC machining and manufacturing services in the Pacific NW and beyond.